Saturday, June 28, 2014

First Full Day in Heidelberg Complete!


My first day:
After a very tiring flight out of JFK I landed in Frankfurt at 10:30 German time. After an unusually short wait in customs and finding my bag quickly I was able to hop on the shuttle and arrive in Heidelberg an hour and a half later.   Quickly after putting my luggage in my room I joined the group of students and we headed off to town. We first went to at ATM to get Euros and I went to my first German grocery store. I have to say did what the first real difference I saw in the German culture. You bring your own bag and you put your groceries into your actual bag as you are shopping. Then you bring them to the front and the cashier immediately throws your groceries at you. You have to be fast with putting your groceries in your bag because the cashier is already ringing up the next person. Next we got a tour of the European Study Center where the residence is. All I have to say about the place so far is there are a lot of stairs. I then took a quick nap, then watched the soccer game. I was to tired to care much when the U.S. lost.

My first full day!


Waking up in a dorm for the first time. I then used a community shower for the first time. I must admit, I do appreciate being a commuter to Ramapo College. We took a group trip to the Heidelberg Castle where we got a great view of the city!









 I learned so many fun facts about Heidelberg! Like the fact that it what attacked by the French in the 1800's. That was then end of the Castle which is now a ruin.



 Shot of a statue of Charlemagne in the top left. Apparently the royal family were direct decedents. There were pillars that were taken from Charlegmane's palace at Ingelheim.  Such awesome history!
We then had some time to explore downtown Heidelberg. I had my first beer dasPilsner from the Distillery bar.


 We then walked around and took some more photos on the Old Bridge.



We then ate at the The Red Ox is was a great historical pub where we ate delicious chicken and potatoes! I also drank Nordheimer Sonntagberg Riesling Trocken a really nice dry white wine for the price of 4.80 euros. (They use commas instead of periods!) I then returned to my room and promptly fell right asleep. Great first day in Germany!



 Then I woke up this morning and finished my first mattress on the Princess and Pea needlepoint did I brought with me!

 The view from the window in my room!
 My desk!

Time to start my first weekend in Heidelberg!




No comments:

Post a Comment