Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Amsterdam!

Just Got back to the USA but I still got to blog about the most amazing 7 weeks of my life so here goes Amsterdam!

After a 5 hour train ride we arrive in Amsterdam, so tired and so hot my first meal was a crepe with ice cream!


Our first excursion was to the Heineken Brewery.

Heineken quickly became my favorite beer!

 Rembrandt's  Night's Watch spoofed with the beer.  Definitely a recurring theme to spoof The Night Watch in Amsterdam.






 Entrepreneurship! as a business major I love it~










 Who knew that they had horses?


 There was even a virtual ride at the brewery. Really fun and interactive.


First Heineken Beer 

 Beer Bottle Ceiling 
 Beer Bottle pouring game,  I lost.
 My Texas friends, playing Foosball.
Selfie with Heineken guy

 The apartment building we stayed in.
 How beautiful is this city?


 Heineken with pizza for lunch



 When in Holland~



 Next we went to the House of Bols a cocktail place, I would not exactly recommend it
Of course going public on the Stock Exchange, got to take a picture of that~



Notice the shoes~
 Some House of Bols guy, I don't know...

 Sad I don't even remember which cocktail I got, but I did not end of drinking it so...

 We got a selfie with the House of Bols guy too~
 Canal Birds



 Needlepointing on the Canal

 Can you see me?



 On Sunday I kind of split from my group and decided to go on a short 5 hour tour of the country right up against Amsterdam, best decision.  It was so beautiful and it is not a true trip to Amsterdam without seeing a windmill.  We started at Zaanse Schans.




 I LOVE THESE HOUSES!
 The inside of the windmill




 When you travel alone, it has to be a selfie~

 Lots of selfies....


 At least this one was a little different.

 I lovvvvved the windmills!!!!



 Look at his shoes!!!!







Volendam was the next town 


 These unique houses were fun to look at~
 Drying the laundry outside, very European



 BEST CHEESE EVER!




 To the pier, Volendam is a fishing village.

 I got fish and chips with a Coke Light for lunch. Of course I finally ask someone to take a picture of me and I forgot about the sun.
 Next the tour group took a boat to Marken Island.  Loved being on boat.










 Went to a Clog Making Factory.  Really amazing to watch, them make a clog.  It took them all of two minutes.



 I was SOOOO tempted to buy a pair of clogs, but then practicality set in and I bought a key chain instead.

Saw a chicken outside the clog place, kind of fun!

 Last selfie~


 I got back into the city right in time to go to church!
I have now been to mass in English, German, French and Dutch!

The Church of St. Nicholas

St. Anthony
 St. Therese

 OK, Europe LOVES St. Christopher, I did not know much about him before I left but I have never seen so many sculptures and paintings dedicated to him.


 Next I went to a museum in the Red Light District, and it was my favorite museum.  Our Lord in the Attic, is a must if you are a Catholic visiting Amsterdam.  I was so moved by history.  Two hundred Catholics would come every Sunday to worship in secret.  It just reminds me that every week I should go to mass and remember those who are not able to worship God on the Sabbath.

"The attic of this bourgeois house conceals a secret Catholic church, known as Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder (Our Dear Lord in the Attic), originally built in 1663, when Catholics lost their right to worship in their own way. ."






On Monday I got on a later train than the other people in my group to visit the Rijksmuseum.
I recommend it just to see the gigantic  The Night Watch.
Definitely worth traveling all the way back to Heidelberg alone.


Last Selfie
 Of course, as I am on the tram I realized that I forgot to get a picture with the iamamsterdam sign
 Ok I couldn't resist, There is the train station on the left and the Church of St. Nicholas on the right.




 Last meal in Amsterdam, french fries! 

No comments:

Post a Comment